Monday, July 20, 2009

You Say You Want a Revolution

I'm attempting to keep all adventures in order and if I had my way I'd blog about everyday but that would be very difficult! Anyway, i'm going to make this one quick and very compacted!

Last Thursday, Sam, Stacy and I went to the hospital again to volunteer. We went right up to the AIDS clinic to administer meds to patients and re-write in the new book of listed patients. We weren't there for very long before a large group of patients/social workers came in and we very loud. Of course all of the conversation was in straight Nepali so KC/KP (another volunteer from Nepal but who studied in the US and helps us with the translations) was trying to communicate with everyone in the clinic in Nepali, meanwhile explaining to us what was going on in English. For some reason there is a new policy at the clinic where you need a certain form before you can get your medication and people don't like this, they just want their medicine. Anyway, feeling as though we were in the way, Sam and I left to go help out the rest of the morning at the daycare, as we had planned. We finished out the morning at the daycare with Josh and Amanda, most of it spent moving things across the street to the new location. In the middle we went to KCQ cafe for a quick eat, Sam and I took on an adventure by ordering a milkshake (milk is not typically consumed here in the summer) It was delicious of course! I carried some blankets in things, rolled up and over my back, holding the tie above my head, I felt like a true native, that's how they carry anything heavy here. After resting up, all of the volunteers and I went to Thamel, a touristy area with a lot of shops, restaurants and bars. We ate at this hip restaurent, owned by Israelis with amazing food! I had hummus, mmmmmmmm. After that we met up with Josh's (and our new) friend, Kisor, probably the happiest person I've ever met. Later we went to the Shisha to listen to music and meet up with out friend Bishnu and later to the Funky Buddha, where we are definitely known for the Americans with crazy dance moves.

I just realized it's impossible for me to be short winded and I'm hungry so I'm going to stop now. However, I hope that soon I'll blog about last Friday at the Kanti Children's hospital, our Saturday momo party, Sunday with Josh and Amanda's farewell and Chitwan in the days to come!

P.S. The blog title this time refers to the children at the daycare today. At one point they all started yelling in amazement as we turned the lights off and on. Then later they all formed a line and starting rocking against the door, after repeat attempts to stop them. Maybe they saw the Maoists protesting earlier in the morning, or maybe they were revolting because Josh and Amanda left. Either way, it was quite amusing.

Miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment