Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Find Your Hustle

I just thought of something else to add on the end of the last blog...

In talking about fortune cookies and words of wisdom, I remembered a few things that have inspired me here, that I wouldn't have expected. And then I remembered that it's best not to have huge expectations one way or the other, but to just take things as they are and have the experience. A few things here have really gotten me motivated to help others and make a difference.

A big one is the children we meet and see. Some facts, almost half of the population in Nepal is under the age of 14 and unfortunately many children here suffer through hard times, like no education or being forced for various reasons into child labor. It took me a few days but I realized that all the adorable children I see running on the street or "helping out at the shop" are most likely not in school because their families can't afford it. Once you think about it, taking a picture or saying "aww" doesn't really seem appropriate anymore.

Second motivator, books we've read here. One in particular, Sam let me read her book about a Microsoft exec that left his job to start a non-profit funding schools all over the world, but originally starting in Nepal. Once I read it, all I could think was, can I work then when I graduate? Or now?

Lastly, this one really took my by surprise, but a big motivation for me is Nubina, our host mom Uma's, helper at the orphanage. Even though she's less than ten years older than us, she has so much responsibility on her shoulders and his tired everyday from all the work she does. In addition, she has a daughter, Nitisha, who also stays at the orphanage. Nubina works so hard so Nitisha can finish her education all the way through, even though Nubina's education had been stopped. I didn't even realize when I signed up that I would meet her but she has an impact on me everyday and all I can think these past few days is how can I help her? How can I best reach out, especially when there is a little something called a language barrier.

Overall, I didn't have to come to Nepal to have these motivators but I'm glad instead of reading about it in a book at home, I'm here learning it with my eyes, everyday. Those are the people and the things that keep me motivated everyday. I'm not trying to write a motivational speech here but I've decided to keep this motivation going as long as I can, and to not have it let up when I get home. I encourage any of you guys to do the same, take the time to find what/who motivates you and don't forget about it.

Okay, I'm off my soap box! Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. I think the book you are referring to is "3 cups of tea" by Greg Mortinson. If no, then you would love that one also. We started reading it with the 8th graders this year and they all really were inspired by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly,
    It sounds like you are having an amazing time and learning so much along the way. I think every American teenager/20 something yr old should have the same experience, but since that isn't possible I think the next best thing is for you to write a book. I for one, enjoy reading your blogs (especially the titles) and would be the first to buy your book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just an interested outsider - - some reading you might find interesting are written by an American surgeon and his pediatrican wife about their experiences in Nepal with health care.
    Don't Let the Goats Eat the Loquat Trees, On the Far Side of Liglig Mountain, and Living Stones of the Himalayas - - all written by Thomas Hale, MD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the advice on the books, I love when people tell me about good books!

    ReplyDelete