Friday, July 10, 2009

This One Won't Make Any Sense.. :)

Sorry I haven’t updated recently, it’s hard to keep up with the internet here. I’m also not doing well with keeping my attention because all of the volunteers and I are sitting around the living room listening to Sam talk about being an ogre as a child and Josh freaking out at the age of 12 because he realized he couldn’t play in the balls at McDonald’s anymore. Sam and I just found out that we’ll be volunteering at a hospital starting on Monday. Even though we’ve only been here for less than a week, our days and nights have been long and it feels as though we’ve been here for weeks. So far we’ve had Nepali language lessons from our guru Rubindra, every day for about three hours. Most of the lessons end in him laughing at us because we’re really horrible at speaking Nepali. To the contrary we have mastered counting from zero to twelve in Nepali! I’m also slowly learning how to bargain with the street vendors over how many rupees I’m willing to spend. (In case I didn’t mention it 75 rupees is about the same as $1) The electricity randomly turns off in the mall, it did three times in about 1.5 hours the other day. The other day we went on a tour of Pashupati, the most holy Hindu temple in Nepal, which is offset by an amazing scenery. We sat at the top of the hill and watched the monkeys as they perused around, hoping to find some human to mess with. While we were there we saw some babas, a type of community of people in Nepal. Then we watched a cremation. I know that sounds crazy and it might have been but it was actually peaceful to watch.
I’m really horrible at putting down words right now but here are a few other things we’ve done so far: visited a nice Buddhist temple, ate momo (it’s like a dumpling stuffed with various vegetables and meat if you want, my favorite is buff) fit too many people into one cab, went to a hookah bar in Thamel and the crazy buddah, ate chaat (I couldn’t explain what this is but it looks like every food put together and is very spicy, tried dudh chiyaa (milk tea) which is my new favorite drink, went to the vegetable market down the street, went to a forum on child labor in Nepal, which included a dance show put on by children in Nepal, and that’s all I can think of for now.

Random Blog Titles I've Been Thinking of:

I want some magic masala
Dudh where’s my chiyaa
I just pooped my pants, no it’s a blog title
Beavers aren’t tall
Leprechaun curtains
I almost peed

TOday we helped the kids wash up, it was probably the cutest thing I've ever seen. I'll let you know in a later blog more about our Saturday...

No comments:

Post a Comment