Friday, July 10, 2009

Mangal Baar

Hello All,

Sorry I have not been blogging recently, I'm not that great at keeping up and access to a computer for a decent amount of time is rare for me. It's amazing to think we only arrived a week ago, it feels like so much longer. Mainly because we've been out and about quite a bit since we've arrived. Today we went to Swayambhu, the monkey temple. The view was incredible. I wish I could explain it to you but the best way is through a picture. However, my camera has died so I'll have to try and post some pictures from other sites we've seen. It's funny because when I thought of coming to Nepal, I wasn't really picturing a city. However, I really enjoy Kathmandu for it's mix of city life but the fact that it's like no city back home. One moment I could be walking down the street with motorcycles and cars zipping by and the next watching our neighbors wash their clothes by hand outside. It really makes you appreciate the things you have in your life that make it easy to live and how nice it is to rely on others in the community for help. The balcony (which is quite small) overlooks some "hills" in the background, with the backdrop of Kathmandu in the front. I wish I could wake up to this everyday, I really wish evreyone could see this. It's amazing how much a beautiful scenery can change the way you feel in a matter of minutes.

I'm very scatter brained right now but I'm doing my best to make some sense out of this blog. Today we finished our final Nepali lesson and I'm totally fluent. Not really but it's a fun language to speak, or attempt to. I really love saying very very raamro (raamro means good) it kind of sounds like it should be a song when you say it fast. Last night some of the other volunteers and I attended a forum on child labor put on by an Israeli volunteer group here. First there was a dance show but on my schoolchildren in the area. It was a mix of traditional dance as well as hip hop too. I took some video and can't wait to share it when I get home. I really wanted to blog more right now since I feel bad about not blogging too much but the other volunteers are downstairs playing with the kids and I can't stand sitting in front of the computer any longer.

Hope all is well,
Namaste,
Molly

P.S. I've decided I could have some sweet nicknames since coming here.
1. Momo, it's a type of dumpling made here, it's DELICIOUS!
2. Mangal Baar (which means Tuesday) I like tuesday but also monday is som baar and that's Sam's new name so I wanted a fun one too.

Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment