Monday, July 13, 2009

Street Children

Once again, this is mostly rambling...

Children here go to school Sunday-Friday, those are the ones who actually get to go. I can’t stress enough how unfair it is that certain children have less opportunity because of where they live. Obviously education is important here, their children only get one day of break from school and typically go to school for about 11 months, with a one month break. To me it’s just not fair that some of these kids who care so much about school and the opportunity to go, could fall behind because of the lack of resources. It makes me think of how different our set up is in America, it makes me feel lazy. We get three months off in the summer and an entire weekend. Not only that, the kids at the orphanage get up early do their exercies, get dressed for school, come back from school and then do their homework quite diligently until their tutor comes to help with homework. Of course there’s playing in between all of that but still, the children here work so hard for their education, it really makes you think twice about the things we tend to take for granted.

Then there’s the street children of Nepal. We went to a forum the other night on child labor in Nepal and heard some startling statistics and watched a documentary made by the Israeli volunteer group that Josh and Amanda met here. They interviewed Nepalese children who work to support their families or themselves, some even as young as 5 or 6. Just a few days ago I walked down the street noticing the children, usually with their parents at their shop or selling vegetables on the street, and thought of how cute they are. Now I realize that most of these children are forced to work, it’s really not that cute when you think about it that way. I’m really glad we saw the video (we’re working on bringing some home for others to see) because I’m more excited than ever to start volunteering on Monday, making an impact where I can. Amanda and Josh told us that with our program we need to make our experience and I really want to take what they said and make it literal. Sam and I run girl’s circles at home and I’m really thinking we start that here, with some of the school kids. More than anything I just want to help and learn. All I can think is that every kid, no matter where there from has the potential to be a great person when they grow up and deserve the right to education and creativity. I can’t wait to share with everyone all the kids and people I meet along the way on our adventure!



I tried posting a picture, if it worked... it should be of the children in the orphanage we're living at, these were their outfits for the zoo. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment