Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Ek Dam Ramro

I'm really scatterbrained right now, the children are dancing in the family room and it's been a long day, probably guarantee that this won't make sense. Also, I have a million thoughts so this will be scattered because I'm in a very excited mood as well. I think the best thing to do is tell you what I've done the past week and add some funny, disjointed tid bits.

Since last time we "chatted" Stacy, Sam and I travelled a few hours away to Chitwan, a jungle type place in Nepal. We spent days and two nights there, taking jungle walk, riding/bathing with elephants, riding in canoes, eating delicous food and getting to know some awesome Italians both named Stefano. It was amazing to be out of the city, without pollution and noise and to sit around and watch the sunse. The views were absolutely amazing and it was fun to be on a mini safari. Although riding the elephants were a lot of fun, it was sad to see that the elephants were hit by the riders, it made us quite sad and feeling quite bad about taking part in the activity. However, overall it was full of new experiences, new friends and great relaxing time.

Once we came back to Kathmandu on Saturday, we settled back in by spending time with the kids here at the orphanage and seeing off Stacy as she left for home on Sunday morning, we were very sad. This week Sam and I have been volunteering at our daycare, we have totally fallen in love with these children and I actually miss them if I don't see them for a few days. Most of the kids are babies to two or three years old but one of the boys, Danny, who has no real family is around 6 or 7. (No one knows his actual age because he has no parents and no papers explaining his age or anything). Although it's quite sad, Danny is adorable and fun kid to be around. Unfortunately, he should be in school but he hasn't because no one can take him or financially support him. Sam and I have seriously contemplated funding his schooling for the rest of this year because the woman at the orphanage would make sure he gets to school. If it weren't for these wonderful women working at the daycare, Joti and Laxmi, he would probably be on the streets. Anyway, I was thinking maybe funding him this year and setting up a yearly fundraiser to make sure he makes it all the way through school. Stay tuned for updates on this once I get home, because you know I'll be talking to anyone I know trying to make this happen. Every kid deserves to be happy and to have a education, and it really costs a small amount to make it happen for Danny. Not to lecture but think about all of the things we spend money on (myself included) that we really don't need. That's all I'm saying.

After the daycare we've been coming home for lunch and helping the kids here at our orphanage with their studies because this week is their exam week. Here's a little tidbit for you, the children where we live are very fortunate because they attend a private english boarding school. All of their courses (Science, Social Studies, Math, etc) are taught in English and they have only ONE class devoted to their native tongue, Nepali. Can you imagine that in America? Our kids learning everything in another language, it makes me feel really lazy. Anyway, studying with them is quite rewarding and reminds me everyday not to be selfish. It feels great to hear them yell "Sista sista! Help me!" and know that they really want and need our help because everything is English! They are great students and just great kids all around. Also, it makes me miss the easy days of Class 3 and the easy answers we could give. Then it makes me remember I'm a senior in college, YIKES!

Some disjointed points:
-Rajesh, the oldest boy who I've been tutoring mostly, is amazing at killing flies with his bare hands, beat that Dad.
-We've been very lucky for two things here: 1. Mostly good health (despite a few stomach issues, Sam's mucus and these weird bumps on my armpits?) 2. Even though it's rainy season, we've not witnessed a monsoon or much rain, until this week. It's been raining for two days, but it's cooler and nice out.
-I love ice cream (we all knew this) but they have an interesting nutty flavor here called "Elachi Pista" I don't know what it is but I wish I could buy mass quantities of it and bring it home.

Today Sam and I went with a Nepali friend that we met volunteering at the hospital, to the orphanage he and his wife are helping to run. There are 57 children they and they are amazing and so welcoming. We spent a few hours there playing basketball, eating a delicous bean snack, playing cards and talking with the older chilren. Each child there has their own individual sponsor, and most are sponsored even through college. The kids have an amazing opportunity and in retrospect might even be in a better position than some children with a "typical" family. I know it sounds crazy, to be in a better position as an orphan but that's how it tends to go here. They asked to come back and we really want to. We also got to ride on the microbus for the first time today, it was sweet, we felt like natives.

I realize this blog is short for the amount of time it's supposed to cover but that's a lot of what I've got right now.

Here are some more disjointed thoughts:

-How lucky are our lives at home? How fortunate are we? VERY!
-Education here is such a big deal, I know I'll never take mine for granted again. (For example, some school buses here say: "Education guides people from darkness to light")
-Again, people here are so FRIENDLY. (Everyday walking down the street we get some stares but mostly smiles and millions of "Namastes". --Even the truck drivers are friendly, all of the trucks are beautifully painted and say things like, "See you Later" "Miss you" Love if Life" etc.)
-I'm so happy to hear from friends and family and thankful to anyone who reads even one sentence of this blog. (I really love comments, thanks so much for them!)
-It's sad how backwards Nepal can be socially... for example (There are typically more girls than boys in orphanages because boys have more "value" here) That's a thought I don't swallow to easily and hope to change once I return to Nepal. (That's right mom and dad, I said return)
-Some final thoughts I've had recently about life, that I've realized here and that apply to issues we all have... (Let little things go and be stress free (if possible) --- Don't have large expectations, be open minded. --- We are in control of our own destiny.--- Finally CHOOSE HAPPINESS!! It's not always easy but being here makes me realize how lucky I am, every single day.)

Thanks for reading, sorry for the crazyness of this one. Hope all is well!

Miss you all!

1 comment:

  1. I think it would be great to help this kid go to school. Keep me posted :)

    ReplyDelete