Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Threadmaster

One tiny blog for you (warning, this blog is not deep, at all)..

Today after volunteering at the daycare and helping the kids study for their exams, Nubina showed us how everyone here "plucks" their eyebrows. It's called threading, you take a thin string in your hands and wrap around two fingers and hold the other end with the other hand. The string is twisted slightly and you move the string back and forth across hair and it RIPS it out! She showed us on our arms first and then told us she would do it on our eyebrows. It was somewhat painful and the children were laughing as I was wincing in pain. It was fun though and much more efficient then plucking your eyebrows with a tweezer, one at a time. I took pictures of it and a small video that I want to share when I get home. It was really funny actually. Nubina also attemped teaching us to french braid, something neither of us know how to do. I wasn't going to put this but Nubina threaded my eyebrows and Sam's upper lip, that's right I said upper lip. Ha. Sam would like to let you know that her upper lip is quite smooth now, very kissable.

Later Nubina took me right down the street to the beauty parlor where they "threaded" her eyebrows. It cost only ten rupees, that's like 15-20 cents in dollars. I don't know how much waxing is at home, but that's a steal. We also talked to the woman at the shop about doing mehendi (henna) for us sometime this week. We just have to pick a good day and a good design.

Some other tidbits...
-Our other volunteer friends we made here have left :( but we were just told, three more are arriving soon!
-The other day Sam and I enjoyed ice cream on a stoop on Kalamati (the main street in Kathmandu) and had a duel/staring contest with a man beating his drum. It was fun. Don't worry, we won and I took a picture.
-Today I taught Laxmi (a woman at the daycare) English. She said thank you at least five times.
- Next week is the cow festival, Janai Purnima, stay tuned for more on that.
-Sujan, the youngest boy here at the orphange, just farted in front of us and got really embarassed. :)
- I almost got bit by a dog the other day because of Sam. She told me, "She would save me," as she ran away. That was the other day, I don't hate her anymore.
-A small kid at the daycare pooped on the floor today, just another day in the life of a volunteer. Fortunately, one of the ladies working at the daycare, courageously swooped in and picked up the little present with a piece of ripped up book from the floor.

P.S. If you couldn't tell we're feeling quite goofy right now (we haven't eaten dinner yet), a perfect time for blogging.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to seeing all of these pictures so I have visuals to all of your cool stories. Enjoy your remaining time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I've got pictures.. don't you worry.

    ReplyDelete