Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Spider Killer with a Peanut Butter Spoon

Today was our second day volunteering in the hospital for infectious disease. It's amazing the comparisons between hospitals in Nepal and hospitals at home. We asked if the patients get baths from the nurses and were told that they weren't, visitors come to bath them, which I find interesting, in a good way. Even though by most Americans standards, they would think this hospital is unsanitary, to an extend it is but they make the best of what they have. One thing I actually truy enjoy is the beds with the X-ray images hanging off the side. At any American hospital there would be some nice box or place to put the x-rays but here they recycled old boxes, cut the top off, and right X-ray in marker. To me, it's really cool because I know they're only doing this because they have to but it's one small item like that, that is the opposite of wasting. Why do we have to have everything perfect and new in every hospital, who cares what we put the X-rays in? Sorry I'm ranting a little.

Anyway, we may be switching volunteer sites soon because I personally want to work closely with kids and when you put Sam and I together, there's a lot of passion to make a difference and utilize the short time we have here. We have a million ideas, it's just finding the right schools and children where we can help and using our small vocab of Nepali to the best of our ability. We really want to start a Girl's Circle at one of the schools here ( a volunteer project Sam and I do throughout the school year together) and are working hopefully with a friend of a friend here to make it happen. The longer we're here the more we want to help in any way we can. For example, there really isn't any formalized sex education here, but seeing as how many people come through the AIDS clinic at the hospital everyday, there's clearly some knowledge lacking. I'm not expert but there are some basic things most people should that most people here don't know. One of the volunteers at the AIDS clinic told us that a man came in a few days, who had a college degree, and didn't realize that he could get AIDS from unprotected sex. He had a college degree!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. Anyway, I should wrap this up with, Sam, myself and all the other volunteers want to everything and anything we can to make a difference here, even if it's on a small scale and I realize everyday more and more, to never take things for granted, like education.

P.S. I apologize about not uploading pics, it won't seem to work here.

P.S.S. The title of this one refers to the heroic effort Sam and Josh put forth last night around 2AM trying to murder a spider, we were only partly successful.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I hadn't said hey lately. All sounds well. Keep having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly:
    I found your blog on the THS newsletter. It is awesome that you are out there doing such good work. I am really proud of you. I hope that you continue to enjoy the work that you are doing despite the poverty and inequity that you see. Your work will lift these folks up for a long time to come. What a blessing you are to them. More later. Peace.

    Señor Kohrs

    ReplyDelete